5 Famous Snowy Paintings to Cheer Up Winter.

It's cold outside. Much too cold  to paint in my studio, even though it's heated, so I thought I would share these 5 snowy paintings. Just to cheer us up you understand.


Joseph Farquarson. "The Shortening Day" in Liverpool Art Gallery.
I must admit this was the first painting I thought of when deciding on snowy paintings.
Joseph Farquarson used to paint from a heated caravan  towed to where he'd decided was a good view point. And, as well, some of the sheep were models he'd made and stuck in the snow. 

Claude Monet "Haystacks. The Effect of Snow" in the Metropolitan Museum.
He painted this scene time and time again, in all sorts of weather and all lights.

Pieter Bruegel "Hunters in the Snow" in the Kunthistorisches Museum, Vienna.
This painting sends shivers down my spine.

JMW Turner "Valley of Aosta, Snowstorm, Avalanche and Thunderstorm" Chicago Museum.
You can always rely on Turner for a bit of atmospheric painting! See the figures in the right hand corner dwarfed by nature.

Camille Pissarro "Pont Neuf, the Effect of Snow" in the National Museum Cardiff.
I can imagine the snow being all slushy and wet. Ah well. that's how it ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Care for Prints

Dear fellow art lovers, I'm often asked by busy customers how to look after their prints once they've bought them. Prints are a ...