Beneath the Waves. What's Going on in this Painting?

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/577173556/
© Mary Kemp
"Mother and Child in the Waves"
30 x 30 cm oil on canvas panel
When I painted this picture I couldn't help thinking what on earth was going on beneath the waves in this painting where you can't see.
Even now I can feel my toes in the warm shallow water and the soles of my feet on the ridges of the sand. There's also the slightly unsettling sensation of the sea swirling round your ankles gently trying to pull you over. And who knows what little fish are sidling up to you!!!! Or jelly fish!!!

I don't think I went into the water on that particular day. If truth were told I don't like getting wet out doors. England is much too cold for that and I'm too much of a wimp.

So as usual I observed and drew a bit.  I wanted to capture the way the woman stood  and the quiet colour of her green dress. There was so much sea around them because the sea is shallow at that point, and when the tide is out it goes out an awful long way. It seemed right to paint the scene with no reference at all to land, just two figures in the waves. 

See it in my Etsy Shop. and lots more besides.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Care for Prints

Dear fellow art lovers, I'm often asked by busy customers how to look after their prints once they've bought them. Prints are a ...