Watercolour Painting Recipe Using Dr Ph.Martin's Hydrus Watercolour.

All of a sudden I've had the urge to paint with watercolour. It comes over me every so often although my first love is oil paints.

I think boats, a subject I didn't imagine I would tackle again for a long time, lend themselves particularly  well to watercolour.  Is it their watery nature, or the delicacy of their lines?
Either way that is what I chose to paint.
But first when I'm using watercolour I like to have a solid drawing.
Boat Sketch. Mary Kemp
I used a sketch that I did on holiday last year and drew the outlines on a piece of  Arches smooth hot pressed watercolour paper which I had already stretched.
See my post How to Stretch a Sheet of Watercolour Paper.

Next I painted in the parts I wished to keep white with masking fluid. This particular brand had a lovely set of nozzles so I was able to create thin flowing lines. You can paint it on with a brush but brushes are in danger of being gummed up forever if you're not careful about washing in lots of soapy water.
Mary Kemp.
Drawing with masking fluid
In fact I quite liked it as it was but there is more to do!

Especially as the next part is by far the most exciting bit. 

Putting on the colour.

As a change from tube or pan watercolours  I am using Dr. Ph.Martins Hydrous Watercolours.

Oh how scrumptious these colours are! Little bottles of liquid light. I've always found conventional watercolours a bit stodgy so when I discovered these I was in seventh heaven.

In fact I got so carried away with their gorgeous brightness I forgot to take any photos while I was painting this picture. 

They flowed beautifully, sometimes they granulated, but they kept a breathtaking clarity of colour and also could take a was put swiftly over once they were dry. 
Here is the picture nearly finished.
Mary Kemp.
Small Fishing Boats

I only had to take the masking fluid off by rubbing it with a finger and then it was done.
How much less mess than an oil painting!




No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Care for Prints

Dear fellow art lovers, I'm often asked by busy customers how to look after their prints once they've bought them. Prints are a ...