Why I Love "Sketching 365" by Katherine Tyrrell

This was my Christmas present to myself !
Sketching 365 by Katherine Tyrrell
I know I should draw more.
I know how important it is. But sometimes the will to pick up a pencil fades and other things clamour for your attention.

What is needed is a post Christmas kick up the backside.

I've long been a fan of Katherine Tyrrell through her great Making A Mark blog. The gold standard of blogs, so when she started talking about her forthcoming book on sketching I knew I had to get a copy.

And last week, courtesy of good old Amazon my copy of Sketching 365 arrived.

Oh my gooodness!

It is packed choc a bloc with so much information, from how to draw to what to use, how to sharpen a pencil even, and drawings on every page. A feast of sketches you wish you'd done yourself, and not all by Katherine but loads of guest artists, different styles, different materials.

I wish I'd had this book at the start of my arty journey. It would have saved a lot of time.

But what it has done is energise my sketch book. The first thing I did after a quick whip  through it was sketch the contestants on Mastermind. Two minutes a subject. I like sketching from the telly. They can't see what you're doing.
Mary Kemp.
 Contestants on Mastermind 09.01.15
And so people I hope you'll excuse me. I'm off to read a bit more of this lovely book, and then I'm going to draw the cat.




2 comments:

  1. Wow - many thanks for such an ace review - you made my day! :)

    Katherine Tyrrell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katherine. I've learnt a lot from your blog!

    ReplyDelete

How to Care for Prints

Dear fellow art lovers, I'm often asked by busy customers how to look after their prints once they've bought them. Prints are a ...