6 Reasons to Take Part in Your Local Artists Open Studios 2015

It's that time of year again. I'm making plans for the summer, and amongst the talk of holidays and days out there's there's the decision whether to take part in Open Studios or not? 

As an old hand I usually say "Never again!" and then quietly relent. But I'm thinking more deeply about it this year and here are some questions I've been asking myself.

Part of my display last year at Peterborough Open Studios.
Photo taken by Tony Nero.

  1. Did I enjoy last year's event?
  2. Did those around me enjoy last year's event? 
  3. Was it profitable? 
  4. Have I got boundless energy?

To the first three questions I can hand on heart answer yes, but the boundless energy one is flooring me, and there's a lot of family stuff happening in the summer too. And I'd like some free weekends in June/ July, the best time of the year, which is when our Peterborough Open Studios takes place.

But what I really want to say is, there are so many reasons why you absolutely must take part in your own local artists open studios event, even if  this year I'm not!

And here are just 6 of these reasons :
  1. It's fun. It really is. You can make it like a party, wild or sedate. It's your call.
  2. It gets your art out there for friends, family and the general public to see. This is important if you're serious about being an artist.
  3. You have the opportunity to make money. Your only overheads your open studio membership and a few cups of tea.
  4. You'll meet new people. Could be new patrons!
  5. You'll get to tidy your home/workspace. Hurrah!
  6. If you need a focus for your work there you have it. A dead line is a great incentive.
These are just some of my reasons. I'd love to hear why you enjoy taking part in open studios.



No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Care for Prints

Dear fellow art lovers, I'm often asked by busy customers how to look after their prints once they've bought them. Prints are a ...