It happens every so often. I think "Why am I using oils colours?
- They're messy.
- They're expensive
- And they take forever to dry".
Here's my latest picture.
|Mary Kemp.Boats in Galicia. |
Acrylic on board 40 x 30 cm.
I was attracted to the bright day
and the strong colours,
so typical of Spain.
Of course I like the colours, which were bright and bold, but I struggle to get the paint to lie as I want it to. It feels sticky, and the surface seems to me to be lacklustre, and although I have difficulty telling the difference between other people's oils and their acrylics , with my own the difference is obvious. I feel I can express myself better with oils.
- Acrylics are hasty to dry and blend clumsily on the canvas.
- They stick to your equipment.
- They're not as classy as oils.
- This picture took less time to complete, giving it more immediacy.
- I can layer colours without needing to wait 2 days.
Speed and immediacy for acrylics.
Time to craft your painting, and the indefineable charm of oil paints.