A Weekend of Open Studios.

I open up my home to the discerning art appreciating public, and what do my visitors come to see ?

Only my garden and the three cats!  Oh well. I love them too , and my visitors did take time to look at the artwork and even take home a painting or two.

Bertie the cat.
I'm rather proud of the hosta in the background !
There are three phases to an open studio event.

Preparation, excitement! excitement! the event itself, more excitement! and the boring bit,tidying up.

It took me three days to get ready for the weekend. Of course that doesn't include painting all the pictures, getting the printing done and sending out the invitations. I approach it a bit like a family party, with lists to do, and lists to buy. Leaving time to get myself looking beautiful, and if not beautiful presentable, making sure refreshments are adequate, and above all looking forward to it.

For the event itself we had two glorious days immersed in art related things. It was great to see my paintings on the wall, at their best and the focus of conversation. There's a bit of Narcissus in all us artists!  I think I could talk forever about art and painting, techniques, colours, framing and materials , as well as different styles and philosophies, the state of the art world ..... My husband is a tolerant man!

So many friends and art lovers in one place, that's the joy of open studios.

Wall of paintings. Photo Tony Nero.
The tidying up phase is now upon us. I've put the paintings away, reorganised the furniture, and had a few days licking office space and studio into shape.

Conclusion: 

When I've finished an Open Studio event it's almost like the end of the school year. With that feeling of release and a bit of an anti climax.

Because it takes part in your home it's exhausting. That's your personal space that people are invading, and they're looking at your art, your precious creations, too.
During open studios you have the freedom to display whatever you want, so it forces you to have a good hard look at whatever you produce .
It pays to listen to what people say,even if they're too polite to criticise, and you usually get nice comments.
 But it's not what they praise, it's what they don't praise that you can take note of. Why did nobody say they liked my poppy field? Why did they hastily pass by the yellow painting?
Responses are often visceral, which is after all how we should view art.

And was it all worthwhile?

Need you ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Care for Prints

Dear fellow art lovers, I'm often asked by busy customers how to look after their prints once they've bought them. Prints are a ...