This blog is moving!
At last I have discovered a way to have my website and blog all in one place.
So from now on all new blog posts will be on my new website.
I'm still writing about the same sort of things, and you can still find the old posts on this page.

Thursday, 12 September 2013

Recipe for a Painting.

Damp forest floor with sun struggling to get through. Should I call it "Struggling Sun" or "Fetid Forest"? There have been several versions of this image, none of which I've been a hundred percent happy with. So I'm trying this for the umpteenth time with a broader approach, in the search for the Nirvana of paintings.
Here's the recipe so far:
Picture One. Mary Kemp . Forest Floor
Picture one; Primed canvas panel with image roughly drawn with HB pencil.
Sky roughly blocked in with a mixture of liquin thick medium, a small amount of spirit and white and Paynes grey oil paint. ( This mixture dries quickly and is quite shiny)
Trees were scumbled in with a mixture of Paynes grey and ivory black  plus a trace of ultramarine violet. Scumbles of cadmium red for the ferns and sap green for the leaves.
Picture Two. Mary Kemp. Forest Floor
Picture two; Most of the work I did at this stage was on the dark passages of the trees and forest floor using Paynes Grey, ultramarine violet and some alizarin crimson. I used a smaller brush and defined the shapes of the leaves and trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment