Wreck In Stagnant Water - Recipe for this Painting.

I've painted this wreck several times, and go back to it each time I visit Blakeney on the North Norfolk coast. It looked very water-logged this time, and the wood was much darker than I'd seen before.
Mary Kemp -Wreck in Stagnant Water

My materials were:
30 cm square canvas panel.
Acrylic paint : violet, Venetian red, raw umber.
Oil paint : titanium white, buff titanium, raw sienna, naples yellow, cadmiun yellow medium, burnt Siena, venetian red, raw umber, cerulean blue , cobolt blue and ultramarine violet.
Brushes. Selection of Rowney acrylic brushes, and harsher hogs hair for larger passages. Also use watercolour sable ( or cheaper synthetic)  for fine detail.
Medium. Odourless turpentine. Sometimes Liquin, but that alters the texture quite a bit.
Method : I paint the canvas with the acrylic venetian red and violet, watered down a lot.
I let it dry.
My composition I've worked out carefully beforehand, so I now draw with pencil and the acrylic raw umber.
When that's dry I block in the main colours with oil, using clean colours for the surroundings and dull sludgy colours for the boat. The landscape in the distance I use splodges of purples and greens.
When all this is dry ( I leave it for several days at this stage) I start on the detail of the boat, my favourite bit. This is where I use the fine no1 watercolour brushes.
Then it's a question of looking at it over several days and adjusting tones and colours. As it's a very simple composition there's not too much alteration to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Care for Prints

Dear fellow art lovers, I'm often asked by busy customers how to look after their prints once they've bought them. Prints are a ...