This blog is moving!
At last I have discovered a way to have my website and blog all in one place.
So from now on all new blog posts will be on my new website.
I'm still writing about the same sort of things, and you can still find the old posts on this page.

Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Wreck In Stagnant Water - Recipe for this Painting.

I've painted this wreck several times, and go back to it each time I visit Blakeney on the North Norfolk coast. It looked very water-logged this time, and the wood was much darker than I'd seen before.
Mary Kemp -Wreck in Stagnant Water

My materials were:
30 cm square canvas panel.
Acrylic paint : violet, Venetian red, raw umber.
Oil paint : titanium white, buff titanium, raw sienna, naples yellow, cadmiun yellow medium, burnt Siena, venetian red, raw umber, cerulean blue , cobolt blue and ultramarine violet.
Brushes. Selection of Rowney acrylic brushes, and harsher hogs hair for larger passages. Also use watercolour sable ( or cheaper synthetic)  for fine detail.
Medium. Odourless turpentine. Sometimes Liquin, but that alters the texture quite a bit.
Method : I paint the canvas with the acrylic venetian red and violet, watered down a lot.
I let it dry.
My composition I've worked out carefully beforehand, so I now draw with pencil and the acrylic raw umber.
When that's dry I block in the main colours with oil, using clean colours for the surroundings and dull sludgy colours for the boat. The landscape in the distance I use splodges of purples and greens.
When all this is dry ( I leave it for several days at this stage) I start on the detail of the boat, my favourite bit. This is where I use the fine no1 watercolour brushes.
Then it's a question of looking at it over several days and adjusting tones and colours. As it's a very simple composition there's not too much alteration to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment