5 Art Exhibitions to See in 2016

2016 brings new art exhibitions to delight us all, and I thought I would share with you 5 that you might like to visit.

1.  First, and coming up soon, is the Royal Academy's "Painting the Modern Garden. Monet to Matisse,"  Two of the most appealing subjects in one hit, the garden and an impressionist and beyond. This exhibition features Monet's Agapanthus Triptych seen for the first time in the UK. It's on from 30th January to 20th of April.
I am tempted
to become a friend of the RA which will propel me into visiting even more of their exhibitions.

2.  Up in Edinburgh the Scottish National Portrait Gallery is hosting an exhibition of self portraits called "Facing the World" with works from such diverse artists as Rembrandt and Ai Wei. This is from 16th July to 16th October.
What's to love about this gallery, apart from the paintings, is the beautiful architecture, and the vibrant cafe. I first came across them when going to a wedding in an Edinburgh hotel. I had the morning free and headed off into town and being the artist I am, trotted round the National Gallery and then the Portrait Gallery. Time was short and I needed a coffee so went into the cafe which was bustling and full of wonderful aromas. And I was hungry, very hungry! But I also knew that in a few hours I would be a guest at a sumptuous wedding feast and you've got to do justice to that, so I drank my coffee and left the cafe with a feeling of unfinished business. Perhaps next time.

3. Down at the Dulwich Picture Gallery in south London is an exhibition coming up by an artist I've never heard of before, Nikolai Astrup, a Norwegian painter best known for his luminous painting of Midsummer Eve bonfires. "Painting Norway". Runs from 5th February 5th to 15th May. Also includes evening events throughout and a fire garden experience on the opening weekend.

4. And then Tate Modern, that great industrial edifice on the south bank of the Thames holds a major retrospective of the works of  Georgia O'Keeffe .  On 6th July to 30th August. I can't wait to visit this. I don't think I've ever seen any of her paintings in real life so this will be a great treat.

5. And last but not least The Royal Academy Summer Exhibition always a delight, if not for the comment "My 6 year old nephew draws better that that!" but for the sheer pleasure of such a wide variety and exuberance of artwork both big and small. Runs 13th June to 21st August. 

I've talked about just a few exhibitions, gems in the jewellery box box of art events for the coming year. But sometimes it's not just the big exhibitions, the famous art, that gives you pleasure, but all the small shows, the small galleries that hold pieces of joy piled one on top of another, well not literally, but unexpected and so many. So what I shall be doing is visiting art wherever and when ever I can. I hope you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Care for Prints

Dear fellow art lovers, I'm often asked by busy customers how to look after their prints once they've bought them. Prints are a ...