This blog is moving!
At last I have discovered a way to have my website and blog all in one place.
So from now on all new blog posts will be on my new website.
I'm still writing about the same sort of things, and you can still find the old posts on this page.

Thursday, 30 January 2014

Lana Vanguard Paper. Using Inks and Using Oil Paints.

Mary Kemp- Cyclamen.
Ink on Lana Vanguard 
There's a tiny, deep, deep red cyclamen in the studio.
It stands next to a cobalt blue painting and every time my eyes rest upon it my heart zings. The colour combination is just made in heaven.
I've been meaning to paint it for a while now.
This morning I put aside the oil I was working on and got out some smooth and shiny Lana Vanguard paper,  Rowney Daler acrylic ink and a pot of Sennelier crimson ink which has a very high shellac content.
I drew a rough outline with a little gel pen.
After about an hours work this is what I came up with.
I've used inks on this paper before and love the way the ink pools unpredictably  and moves about on the surface.
But then as I was getting another sheet of paper out to have another go I read the blurb on the pad that said it was:
 SUITABLE FOR OILS !!!!!!!
So out came the oil paints. Time to experiment.
Mary Kemp. Cyclamen.
Oil paints on Lana Vanguard paper.
I spent another hour on this painting. I drew in pencil and applied the oil paint without any medium except a very small amount of spirit using my usual brushes. It was a weird sensation, not one I liked very much, the brush slid as soon as I put it on the paper, but the paint glowed with the strong white background. There was a nice blurry effect when I rubbed in the paint with a cloth.
Would I use it again?
I'm not sure. I did like the blurry effect with the cloth. It reminded me a bit of encaustic painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment